Crane accidents in a construction site can be among the most devastating cause of injuries and fatalities for construction workers. Prevention of crane accident is, therefore, one of the most important elements of safety training in any construction site. However, when accidents do happen, injured workers and their families may need to pursue the assistance of a construction accident lawyer to fight for the compensation they need.
Although machine malfunction happens occasionally, when it comes to crane accidents, they can usually be avoided. There are ways in which both the employers and employees can stay safe from a crane accident. To help, here are the most common ways for preventing a crane accident:
- Assessing the work site – before working, everyone should be aware where the electric lines and other such factors affecting the operation of the crane are. The work site should be assessed regarding the placement and operation of the crane.
- Protective gear for every employee – to avoid just about any injury, safety gear should be worn at all times while inside the work site. Hard hats, gloves, proper working clothes, and many other types of safety equipment should be provided and worn in order to protect the employee from any form of injury.
- Constant inspections and maintenance – regular inspections and check-ups from qualified technicians help ensure that every piece of machinery is in proper working order. Neglecting maintenance and check-ups, especially in cranes, can lead to devastating accidents.
- Employee safety training – proper practice and awareness of safety in the workplace, especially in the construction site, lowers the chances of having accidents in the workplace. It is also important to have safety drills in order to keep employees aware of what to do when a crane accident happens.
- Signal personnel – when it comes to crane operation, it all comes down to teamwork. From the crane operator, the signal personnel, to the workers, everyone should work together to avoid crane accidents. This especially holds true with signal personnel, who should stay alert in warning the crane operator and the workers about potential dangers.
With simple safety precautions, crane accidents can easily be prevented. However, if you have been in a crane accident and have suffered significant injuries, you may need the help of legal representation to get the financial compensation you deserve.